Jewish Girls Can’t Pole Dance

August 30, 2012 14 Comments TAGS: Diet & Food

If White Men Can’t Jump, then Jewish Girls Can’t Pole Dance.

I was invited to try a pole dancing class at a new Pole Dance Studio from Milan that just opened in Montreal. Lately, I’ve been trying to say “yes” more, and “no” less. My new mantra is YOLO– first seen on Katie Couric‘s Twitter feed– You Only Live Once. Yes, wise reminder.

So, I called up my girlfriend. You know, we all have that ONE girlfriend that will try anything, and I told her she’s coming pole dancing with me! She didn’t object.

The good news is, I can actually now gracefully, (and somewhat sexily) spin around a pole. Both feet off the ground. Yup I can, thank you very much! I can wear high heels and spin around, and not look half bad doing it. The bad news is, I pretty much almost throw up after I do it. Yah really. By the end of the class, I was so dizzy from spinning around, I just stood there like a dunce.

But all kidding aside, I think I may have found a new hobby. First zumba, then meditation, and now pole dancing. I don’t recognize myself! I gotta tell you though, it’s an AMAZING workout, the music is awesome, and it’s a lot of fun.

The rules: short shorts (to be able to stick to the pole), leave your inhibition at the door, get comfortable looking at yourself in the mirror, and dance in high heels to feel like a woman.

After seeing these pictures of our instructor (France’s national pole champion), my husband called the installer. We’re installing the pole in our bedroom next week.

Just kidding.

The good news? There are NO pictures of me pole dancing. No f’n way!

Look mom, no hands! How cool?

Alright, who can do this?!

By the end of the class last night, I was doing this. NOT!

The studio of poles!

Our instructor's shoes. Yah okay!

The ‘On The Fence’ Question of the day: Have I lost my mind? Would YOU pole dance?

Happy Labor Day weekend ladies!

1. […] PS – If this topic interests you, you might wish to check out an oldie but goodie I wrote: Jewish Girls Can’t Pole Dance. […]

2. […] this. I dare you not to leave happy! Here was my pole dancing teacher and here is my experience http://womenonthefence.com/2012/08/30/jewish-girls-cant-pole-dance/. Others are boxing classes, Soul Cycle and open dance […]

3. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.
      Thanks for providing this info.

4. […] try this. I dare you not to leave happy! Here was my pole dancing teacher and here is my experience http://womenonthefence.com/2012/08/30/jewish-girls-cant-pole-dance/. Others are boxing classes, Soul Cycle and open dance […]

5. TraceNo Gravatar says:

After taking a few classes at the Milan Pole Dance Studio that you were at, I was completely hooked. I can’t believe the work that is required to become pros like the top in the world. Being a former 2X Olympian in Synchronized swimming, I underestimated this sport. My arms and abs felt worked and sore for 3 days after each session. When it hurts, you know its working I say. So bring on the pain, and bring on the Pole Dancing!

6. VeronicaNo Gravatar says:

It’s an amazing workout and a lot of fun! I first tried it about 5 yrs ago and I always go back for more! The lap dance, chair workshops, and sexy strip tease classes are also fun and a great way to feel sexy and seductive! I can’t say my boyfriend has ever had the pleasure of seeing my oh-so-very amateur moves, but I love the way it makes me feel after a class! 🙂

7. I have a few friends who tried it and I was jealous – wish we lived closer so I could try it with you!
      Although, somehow I dont think that I would be that coordinated in those shoes!

8. IvanaNo Gravatar says:

You have not lost your mind! I’ve wanted to try it for a while now! I still just might do it.
      Good for You!

9. KathleenNo Gravatar says:

Hilarious! This makes me want to try it for sure.

10. KatNo Gravatar says:

That looks like a lot of fun! It’s amazing what you find when you’re willing to try new things. Good for you Erica 🙂

11. CherylNo Gravatar says:

You’re not crazy I’d do it in a second. I agree with Joy it looks like fun.

12. Joy LNo Gravatar says:

I heard it’s the greatest workout. I would totally try it. It looks like fun. Go Erica!

13. Absolutely!!! I think a pole dancing class or even a lap dance/strip tease class would be such a fun workout!! Besides, you are learning some skills you can take home to the bedroom. I have a feeling most husbands would pay endless amounts of money if they knew their wives could come home learning how to work a pole like the instructor. Holy crap, she is A-mazing!!!

• CandeeNo Gravatar says:

Note to self…Yes, I would do this and actually own Shake, Rattle and Pole a MOBILE Pole Dance Party/Class business where I come to your location…hotel, cabin or wherever our party pole safely fits 🙂 Great work-out, fun and so much more. To really understand it you have to experience pole dancing just like you did!!! Pole Dancing is not only for women but men are also doing it as a great form of exercise. The pole is a piece of gym equipment and if your not careful you can seriously hurt some body parts!! Pole Dancing is addicting and they are actually working on bringing this into the Olympics as a sport. There is a huge Pole Dance community of women and men across the country that pole dance for fitness, fun and competitions. I recently attended Pole Expo 2012 in Las Vegas, it was amazing. If you would like more information about the Pole Dance world you can message me through my site at: http://www.ShakeRattleAndPole.com
        Keep on Poling ~ Shake, Rattle and Pole/Candee (Owner)