Wordless Wednesday

February 23, 2011 18 Comments TAGS: Kids, Motherhood

Just when you thought you’ve seen it all.

Yes, you’re seeing correctly.

A woman, 61, gave birth to her own grandchild in Chicago on February 10, 2011.

Kristine Casey, the possibly oldest woman to give birth, served as her daughter’s surrogate, who had been trying to conceive for years.

There is no bond as strong as a parent/child bond.

The “On The Fence’ question: Would you do this for your child?

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. MarisaNo Gravatar says:

For a daughter, maybe…depending on how old I would be and in what physical shape I would be it. For a daughter-in-law, probably not. LOL No matter how good/bad the relationship with a daughter-in-law is or will be, this would be too weird and could complicate things.

2. I have to be honest here, I don’t think I could do it. Don’t kill me people! 🙂

• If it was an organ, I would do it IN A HEARTBEAT. WITHOUT EVEN THINKING. My children are everything to me. In this case, I have to be honest, I’m not sure. I would somehow raise the money to find a surrogate.

3. AllisonNo Gravatar says:

I’d do it, sure. I’m great at being pregnant, and once the child is born, screaming, I’d be able to hand it to its parents. 🙂 But then I’d still get Grandma visiting rights.

4. Anonymous Mom says:

NEVER! That would be too weird. I consider myself a great mother but I just couldn’t carry my child’s baby. Call me selfish.

5. palouNo Gravatar says:

in a heartbeat

6. AlineNo Gravatar says:

If I could I’d do it in a heartbeat.

7. I would love to if it was my own daughter, or daughter in law. That is so amazing that she was able to do that at 61! I would do anything for my children!

8. Wendy IreneNo Gravatar says:

absolutely! What profound love <3

9. anonymous says:

Context to consider: There is nobody besides the involved couple that experiences the painful dissapointments of years of challenging fertility isssues like the couples mothers.

Any well-intentioned mother would offer anything she can to help.

The question is what doctor would offer this? Risk for complications of pregnancy increases with age.

10. Anon says:

Never in a million years. I don’t think it’s selfish either.

11. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mommymontreal, Erica Diamond, amonteferrante, beckypritchard, Erica Diamond and others. Erica Diamond said: RT @SalonMonzer: Wow! RT @WomenOnTheFence: Wow. Would you do this for your child? –> http://bit.ly/gfxJGD […]

12. a says:

Never! That is ridiculous! I would give any organ to my girls but I would never want to cross that line! That is something that they must do on their own.

13. Susan says:

I would do it in a heartbeat.Even at 61.

14. @bamabeckyNo Gravatar says:

good thing i don’t have to VERBALLY answer your question because i have a lump in my throat the size of a golfball.

absolutely, unequivocally, yes i would do it for one of my girls. aside from the fact that i completely loved being pregnant because there was something just very cool about fulfilling the purpose for which my body was made, it would be the most amazing gift: to give to my daughter the gift that i received when i had HER.

oh geez – full on weeping now…

15. RoxanneNo Gravatar says:

NEVER THAT’S JUST TOO WEIRD.

16. FionaNo Gravatar says:

I would definitely do this for my child. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.