Have you ever had a burning desire to do something, but never got off the fence to do it? Do you have an artistic talent that’s been hidden for too long? Do you love to cook to the point where you’ve contemplated going to culinary school? Did you every wanna be the next American idol? Seriously! Today’s Blog post came to me last night when I got home from Dancing With The Stars. Yes, in Montreal, we put on our very own version each year of Dancing With The Stars, a fundraiser to benefit the Montreal Children’s Hospital. Women and men in our community are paired with professional dancers and compete in a competition just as on TV. Jean-Marc Généreux, one of the judges from So You Think You can Dance acted as one of the judges last night. It was great fun.
And during one of the dances, I looked at my girlfriend and said, I think I would love to dance again. I was a ballet dancer for 18 years, and even taught young girls. I was quite good, but gave it up at eighteen for school, boys and partying– all age appropriate behavior, I guess. But really, when I was watching the dancers, I could really see the passion. They enjoyed it. I found it refreshing. And it made me think of why I started this Blog in the first place. I feel like I have finally unlocked my passion. It feels incredible.
But really, how many of you wake up Monday morning and just wish it were Friday already? How many of you feel like you’re walking around just going through the motions? If you feel this way, I think you haven’t yet unlocked your passion. Maybe you’re currently working a job you hate and are thinking of taking the plunge into entrepreneurship. Maybe you’ve wanted to go to culinary or even nursing school.
I wrote a whole chapter in my new book about choosing passion over paycheck when starting a new business. I explained that at the end of the day, for you to be successful at what you do, you have to unlocked your passion. Because really, what is life without doing what you love? We all have responsibilities, and this goes with the territory of womanhood, motherhood and having a career. But to unlock your passion, and to dive into something just FOR YOU as a woman, it crucial. Every woman should unlock their passion, find a hobby and possibly even make it their career.
So, this is all sounds very exciting, but where do you begin?
- Spend some time alone. When the kids are off at school, or even on your lunch hour, think of how you can make the time for something you’re passionate about. Do you want to enroll in ballroom dance classes? Do you want to learn a new language? Is there something specific you want to do, or do you just want to live a more passionate existence? Brainstorm, and write it all down.
- If you know what your passion is, and it’s just a matter of making the time, and giving yourself the permission to do it, then great. But if you don’t know what your passion is, ask yourself: What motivates me? If I had all the money in the world, what would I do? What brings me the most joy in life? And finally, on a more serious note, if I was given six months to live, what would I want to do in that time? These will get your creative juices flowing.
- Give yourself the OK, to sit on it for a while if you don’t know. Unlocking your passion takes time. Reflect, think. If you already know what that passion is, and you just need the push or shove to do it, then HERE’S YOUR PUSH!! Go ahead and pick up the phone and REGISTER! No more sitting idle! But if you still don’t know after asking yourself those questions, you need the time to organize your thoughts. It will come. It takes a lot of soul searching. But remember, you’re worth it. You deserve to be a happy, passionate, fulfilled person.
- Intend on leaving your mark on this world. I illustrate this point in one of the chapters in my book. This means, go hard or go home. You’ve gotta put your all into whatever you do. Many of us women have infinite potential to make incredible changes in our world. It’s not just the Oprahs that are leaving their imprint. Once you unlock your passion, and go for it, why not go with the intention of making a real difference. I unlocked my passion for writing and the great desire to connect with women around the world. In the process, I am trying to make women reflect upon their own lives, and help them improve their own existence. I’m trying to make a place for myself and create change. You should too. We all have it in us to do this.
- And finally, last question, WHEN ARE YOU READY TO START?
So ladies, find your passion, and live it!! This life ain’t no dress rehearsal. Why simply exist? And if you’ve just been existing, as I was for three years before I finally unlocked my passion and started my Blog, know that it’s never too late. Start today. Pick up the phone and enroll! If you don’t know yet, spend the alone time and start writing your action plan. But in the words of Nike– Just Do It!
Ps – Watch this nice video from last night’s 6PM news. My son’s school– in Hope for Haiti!
Other articles you might enjoy:
Tags: 99 things women wish they knew before starting their own business, choose passion over paycheck, dancing with the stars, finding your passion, happiness, how to be happy, jean marc genereux, make your hobby your career, making a career out of a hobby, so you think you can dance, unlock your passion, unlock your passion to be successful, unlocking your passion