Being Thankful

January 14, 2010 18 Comments TAGS: Career, Marriage, Money, Relationships, Stress

When I awoke this morning, I wasn’t feeling connected to a particular topic for today. My thoughts were scattered. And then a Blackberry text message from a friend I haven’t spoken to in a while set off a light. I wished my husband’s friend a quick happy new year this morning and asked him how he was doing. His reply, “Happy New Year to you too. We are overdue to get together. Things are okay. They could definitely be better, but then again, I could be in Haiti.”

Wow, I thought. How true. I forwarded that message to my husband immediately. I wanted him to see the positive attitude that his friend had, and to see his gratefulness, vs. what he was lacking. My husband, not always one for seeing the glass half full, indeed got the message. We are so caught up in the daily rat race, that we don’t often show appreciation and gratitude for what we DO have. We harp on what’s lacking, or what’s wrong. We take those we love and what we have for granted.

Haiti

Look at the devastation in Haiti. After a 7.0 magnitude earthquake, the death toll is in the tens of thousands. These people have lost their homes, their families, their roads, their resources. And yet, we watch the news, disconnected in our own lives at the fragility of life. We’ve lost sight of the true meaning of life. We are green with envy. We are greedy. We want more and more. We look to our neighbors to see what they have. We don’t look at the goodness that we have in our own homes.

So today’s blog was to remind you, that when the going gets tough, it could always be tougher. It may be easier said than done, but make the effort today. Make today the day where you look at the job you may hate, and think, at least I HAVE A JOB. Look at your kids who may fluster you sometimes, and think, I was able to CONCEIVE a child. Be thankful today. Be grateful.

being thankful

We’re not nearly thankful enough. You have that choice.

P.S. – Mom, Happy 60th Birthday today! I’m grateful to be able to celebrate with you tonight.

1. […] and domesticated diva  and now, as Blogger. And as I embark upon my mid thirties, I really do realize we get one shot.    And I’ve realized a few things about […]

2. Vanda Medvec says:

Executing repeatedly work outs related to on a daily basis underside is certainly unbelievably sensible in addition to says enormous medication included in the instantaneous in addition to coming.

3. Enjoyable express. I need your post. This task would seem extraordinarily educational. We’d express this method by means of your classmate. Info taking turns this kind of important guidance with us.

4. […] second week of vacation brought more sun and fun in Maine. But it also brought tremendous appreciation and gratitude. On our second day in Maine, while I was outside drying the beach towels and beach toys, I glanced […]

5. Dude thanks for this article. I absolutely agree with you

6. […] birthday, January 14th, 2010. At the time, Haiti was in devastation, and the Blog post was titled Being Thankful. I think it’s just as relevant today as it was almost a year […]

7. Kim Serafini says:

The I AM GR8FUL CLUB is the next best thing to sitting in a conference or attending a life-changing seminar, which is usually held in some far-flung place, at great expense, having taken heaps of time away from your work or family. The iamgr8ful club is available to you at a TINY fraction of the cost, and you can learn & use our tools at any time that’s convenient for you through the power and portability of the internet.

8. Dave says:

Thankful is a pointless synonym for grateful for those people who learned English from the back of a cornflakes packet.

9. Marty, GREAT WEBSITE! What a super concept. I hope my readers go and thank someone today. We don’t often say thank you enough. 🙂

10. Marty says:

ED – I just came across your post and could not agree more, I know there have been many times in my own life where I have forgotten to look at all the blessings I have, and instead focus on some of the dark spots.

Being thankful and letting people that matter to you know how you feel is such an important thing that I’ve found can really make a difference.

I work for State Farm and we made a site, Thanksforbeingthere.com, solely for the purpose of thanking someone who has made a difference in your life. You can even send the link of your post to the person who you’re honoring! I thought I’d suggest it as a nice way to get a special message to someone important.

Thank you!

11. Anonymous says:

So inspiring, and you hit the nail on the head! Let’s all be thankful!!

12. Anonymous says:

Inspiring piece.

13. Love you hubby. See you tonight!! xoxo

14. Hubby says:

I now see the LIGHT!!! Thank you JA

On another note, I wish the people of Haiti a quick recovery to normalcy!
      May we find out that their casualty estimates were significantly overstated.

15. JA says:

On the request of ED herself… I’m not much of a blogger or attention seeker, however nor am i a MARTYR!
      Therefore I would like to thank ED for using me as her inspiration in today’s blog. I didn’t think much of the comment this morning but, when i read the blog I was thinking: “wow I indirectly might have inspired hundreds or even thousands of people today”.

Which made me think of a story I heard from a Chabad Rabbi. The premise of the story was that if you hold a stick in your fist and move your fist one inch to the left or right the bottom of the stick barely moves. However if you measure the movement of the same one inch at the top its huge. (you can try it if you want it really works) Anyways, I just thought that a small comment this morning which was like a small movement at the bottom of the stick (thanks to ED) I hope has became a huge inspiration to many.

All the good blessings!

16. kimberly says:

I got very teary eyed after reading today’s blog post. You are spot on. I’m going to stop complaining and be thankful. I could be more appreicative it’s true. Thanks for this blog post.